Festive Safety Advice
December is a busy month but Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue is urging residents to take time to think about fire safety.
Dan Moss, Group Manager Prevention and Protection said: "Making preparations for Christmas like putting up decorations, cooking and staying away from home, can bring excitement, but also more risk of a fire.
With a recent study suggesting smoke alarms fail in a third of house fires, if you only do one thing, make sure you have a smoke alarm on each floor of your house and that they are working."
12 tips of Christmas: Festive safety advice from Lincolnshire firefighters
- make sure you have enough smoke alarms and test them regularly
- make sure everyone knows your escape plan wherever you are staying
- close all doors when going to bed
- turn off unnecessary electrical products before bed
- make sure plug sockets aren’t overloaded
- be careful when buying products online – fakes can be dangerous
- if you need extra heaters, oil filled radiators are best. Keep heaters well away from anything flammable
- never smoke in bed and make sure cigarettes are put right out
- do you know a SHERMAN? Look out for vulnerable family and friends
- keep looking at your cooking
- don’t block your escape routes
- don't leave lit candles unattended. Better yet, use LED ones
Stay safe and have a wonderful festive season.